Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Riding Lessons


From Goodreads:
As a world-class equestrian and Olympic contender, Annemarie Zimmer lived for the thrill of flight atop a strong, graceful animal. Then, at eighteen, a tragic accident destroyed her riding career and Harry, the beautiful horse she cherished. Now, twenty years later, Annemarie is coming home to her dying father's New Hampshire horse farm. Jobless and abandoned, she is bringing her troubled teenage daughter to this place of pain and memory, where ghosts of an unresolved youth still haunt the fields and stables—and where hope lives in the eyes of the handsome, gentle veterinarian Annemarie loved as a girl . . . and in the seductive allure of a trainer with a magic touch. 

But everything will change yet again with one glimpse of a white striped gelding startlingly similar to the one Annemarie lost in another lifetime. And an obsession is born that could shatter her fragile world.


From Me:
Sara Gruen is a gifted writer. She does a great job with the story, her words kept me interested and the narrator (this was an audio book for me), Maggi-Med Reed,  was amazing.  Her voice had me mesmerized. 
The only trouble, for me,  was that I didn't like the main character.  She really was self-centered and selfish, and she had a temper and got mad-- really mad-- at inappropriate places (in my humble opinion).  I tried to like her --- but I just couldn't.
What kept me reading,  you ask?
I liked the setting, the story and the someone who was reading it to me.
2 stars from me. 
It was okay.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Maggi-Meg Reed is probably my favorite narrator! I loved this book and its sequel - sorry it didn't resonate with you.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...